Friday, July 26, 2013

Whoops- I made a scarf: Knitting with Food

It's funny that people assume only sweet old grannies play knitting with their food.  See the original cartoon here. 


George Takei, Star Trek hero extraordinaire, Internet sensation, Activist, and all around Most Awesomest Celebrity ever, posted this cartoon on his Facebook the other day.  It made me laugh, because it reminded me of my both my grandmothers.  One has extreme difficulty using chopsticks, but she doesn't knit.  Her whoops moments usually come in the form of flipping food across the table.  My other grandmother was a very talented knitter, had no problems eating with chopsticks, but never ever, ever would she have played knitting with her food.  She didn't eat Chinese noodles because she thought they were messy.  She had the same issue with spaghetti, but since she could use a fork for that she ate it by winding it into tight little bundles with the help of a spoon to cut down on unnecessary splatters.  But I digress.

It also reminded me of an actual pattern I saw several years ago on Knitty.com (who just came out with a fabulous looking First Fall edition, by the way) for edible panties that specifically called for chopsticks and Snack-Stop Red Laces in Red Dye #40.  It's aptly named 302 Calories and it also made me laugh, but more because of the sizing than the thought of wearing licorice near my lady bits.  The pattern calls for 2 packages of laces, which presumably equals 302 calories.  If, and keep in mind I'm not admitting anything here, I were to add this project to my Ravelry queue, I'd probably have to rename it 906 Calories and a Bottle of Wine for Courage.  I'll leave the math up to you.

Woo-hoo!

So now you know.  Food knitting isn't just for grannies and their chopsticks.

See you next time!
Love, Stephie




No comments:

Post a Comment